Saturday, August 24, 2013

Amsterdam on a layover

Even though I’d only been back in Arusha for two weeks, I decided that I wanted to join the rest of my family for the “Mike Coyle Fun Run” being held in Mike’s honor this weekend.  I was having a hard time being away and this seemed like the perfect excuse to come back.  Since it was a last minute decision the flight schedule was not ideal…a 6 1/2 hour layover in Amsterdam (plus a dreaded stop at JFK).  Even though Schiphol is a great airport spending over 6 hours there seemed a bit much.  I did a bit of research and it seemed entirely possible to sneak into Amsterdam for a quick jaunt.  I’m glad that I did. 

Easy train ride from the airport direct into the Centraal Station.  Pastry for breakfast.  Walk across the street to the canal boats.  Hour tour of the canals of Amsterdam.  Quick 20 minute walk around the area (I knew Holland was known for the bike culture, but holy cow!).  And I still had enough time to get back to Schiphol, grab a shower, and eat a sushi lunch before my flight. 

Amsterdam sunrise IMG_0007

Bike stand

 

 

Canal

Houseboats

More bikes

Not a bad way to spend a morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment