Thursday, January 8, 2015

Andvik-Keveneys in the House!

Parry and Molly and the girls arrived last week for a two week holiday.  They are the first family to brave the long flight and come and visit us.  I think that they were pleasantly surprised at how uneventful the trip over was.  The first full day that they were here was New Year’s Eve.  We certainly didn’t expect to party like rock stars, but we were all able to keep it together and have a nice dinner with friends at home while it poured rain outside.IMG_1873

We decided to celebrate New Year’s Day at Tarangire National Park.  It was a fun way to show off some of the animals that we have been so lucky to see.  We saw so many elephants…parades and parades of them.  We even got trumpeted at by one mama. 

Elephant ParadeTembo crossingMonitor Lizard

The next day it was off to Zanzibar for four nights at Sunshine Marine Lodge.  Dhow boat rides, snorkeling, tide pool adventures, spice tours, pool time, and a giant full moon over the Indian Ocean.  A great way to start the New Year. 

IMG_2329IMG_0801

IMG_0805

IMG_0818

IMG_2334IMG_2359IMG_2419IMG_2509IMG_2517

Dhow boat ride.  We had to separate into two boats.  Somehow Matt ended up with 3 kids by himself. They raised their sail right away and were quickly far in front of us (with all the beer in his backpack) 

IMG_2367

IMG_2372IMG_2383IMG_2387IMG_2412IMG_2407

Snorkeling.  It only took three days into the new year for me to win “Mom of the Year” award. (Where’s the sarcasm font when you need it?)  Anderson was getting cold, so I said I’d take him back to the boat.  I turned too quickly and ended up directly over the sea urchin infested reef at low tide.  Only took minutes for Anderson to get sea urchin spines lodged into his feet and hands (he put them down onto the reef when he got nervous).  It was not fun, but I realized he’d be okay when, an hour later, he told me that he wouldn’t forgive me if I gave him kisses and hugs, but chocolate would probably do it. 

IMG_2438IMG_2439Sea Urchin

IMG_2458IMG_2460

Our last full day Matt volunteered to run “Kids’ Club” while Parry, Molly, and I went on a spice tour and went to visit Stonetown.  Lucy declared Kids’ Club one of her favorite things about Zanzibar, so I think it was a success.  I know the three of us had a great time on our day. 

Lipstick flower and Lucy and Ashlyn showing off their ‘lipstick’ and hat that we brought back.  And nutmeg.

Lipstick FlowerIMG_2508IMG_2503Nutmeg

Stonetown

IMG_0819

This morning the Andvik-Keveneys went off on their big safari.  Three nights in the Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti.  I can’t wait to hear all about it. 


Five years ago yesterday, we were waking up after our first night in Tanzania and ready to begin this crazy adventure. I am now comfortable with eggs that aren't refrigerated and am adept at driving on the 'wrong' side of the road even though I can't seem to look over my other shoulder in reverse. The kids have grown in more ways than I could have imagined. I look forward to what the next year will bring.

IMG_0815

No comments:

Post a Comment