Thursday, September 15, 2011

Rough week

Not only for us at the house, but throughout East Africa. 

Tanzania observed 3 days of mourning for the tragic ferry accident off the coast of Zanzibar earlier this week that has killed hundreds of people. 

There was also the pipeline explosion in the slums of Nairobi where desperate slum residents were coming with whatever canister they could find to fill with the gas that was leaking from the broken pipe. 

Closer to home we’ve had 5 days of just about every sickness possible slowly work it’s way through the kids…vomiting, diarrhea, crankiness, severe headaches, high fevers, rashes, and did I mention crankiness?  Matt was lucky to escape to Zambia and Botswana before it all hit, but we (maybe I just mean me) are very excited to have him come back home on Saturday night.  We’ve also had a very bad power week…a couple of days of at least 24 hour cuts, but usually around 18 hours a day without power.  I also got a tire puncture.  Yeah, it’s been that kind of week.  But despite my week, I’m feeling lucky and blessed.  Maybe it’s because all 3 kids made it to school today and I have power, but really it’s because I got to kiss my kids goodnight this week and talk to them in the dark about how lucky we are. 

1 comment:

  1. wow. i believe i am going to read this nightly at the end of what i believe is a long day... i think the mustard lid blew off exploding all over the kitchen and R lost my keys once.

    ...good context around thanksgiving time. thanks, lis.

    miss you, but am really just so happy for the opportunity your children are having of growing up outside of american acculturation. priceless.

    cross continent love to you!
    -a-

    ReplyDelete