Monday, September 6, 2010

40th Birthday Weekend

I had a great celebratory birthday weekend.  It was nice to spend all day Friday with Matt…doing errands, going out to lunch, and then taking the family out to dinner.  We went to TGT (local club/sports bar) where it seems all of our Arusha friends go on a Friday night.  Soccer games, two for one drink specials and free food are all part of the attraction, but for us it’s great because the kids go off and play with all of their school friends on the playground or to go kick soccer balls – we barely see them except when we call them when pizza is ready and then they are off again.  The weekend actually started a day early when I decided to cut all of my hair off – my sister pointed out that I did the same thing right before I had Tierney, but I’m sure it doesn’t have anything to do with the milestone birthday…yeah, definitely not.  Sunday was the real celebration day that started with a 33k (20 mile) mountain bike race and ended with a great margarita party (HUGE thanks to Joey for organizing/cooking and David’s amazing marg making abilities)…although I may be paying for both just a little today…very nice to have it be Labor Day in the US, sort of feels like I’m playing hooky today. 

Mama Jackie’s birthday cakeIMG_0042 

My new doIMG_0131

Race registration was a bit crazyIMG_0043

IMG_0045

My cheering section IMG_0046

Gorgeous day on a great ride IMG_0056

Waiting for mommy IMG_0058

“Anderson, you got a little Nutella on your face”IMG_0086

Check out the bikes these guys are racing on…they kicked my butt, too.  IMG_0080 IMG_0097

Nice views from the top of Sugar IMG_0099

Almost done (I even won some money..5,000 Ts/ $3.33..)IMG_0106

Tanzanian kids fascinated by the blondies IMG_0115

Brown-eyed girls IMG_0117

The party:  Our house, but Joey and David’s driveway looked the same IMG_0120

Lots of school friends IMG_0124 

Matt’s off this morning on another 2 week trip, but this time I will sneak away and meet up with him for the last 2 days while Mama Jackie watches the kids. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TNC Africa seems to be getting some good press coverage lately if you want to check it out.

Outside article about TNC chief scientist Sanjayan, but David is quoted and it talks about their Northern Kenya project: 

http://outsideonline.com/adventure/travel-ta-people-and-personalities-the-environment-kenya-science-sidwcmdev_150583.html

Article in the Economist that mentions about Lewa/Ol Pejeta and NRT (TNC’s big project in Kenya):

http://www.economist.com/node/16941705?story_id=16941705&CFID=146821014&CFTOKEN=86826054

Interesting video on TNC work in Kenya (Go Matt!…yeah, this is his life..rough, huh?):

No comments:

Post a Comment