Sunday, September 26, 2010

Maji Moto – part deux

Tierney and I finally made it to Maji Moto (remember last time for the maji moto outing, I stayed home with a sick Tierney?).  Our friend Elizabeth (from TNC) is staying with us this week, so we thought it would be a fun outing for her to see a different side of Tanzania.  After almost an hour down very dusty dirt roads, through villages, you come to this little oasis:  warm and very clear water rushing out from an underground cave surrounded by lush vegetation. 

I must say that I was a little nervous when we got there because there was a giant monitor lizard on the bank, but he quickly scurried away and I got over my fear of running into him again.   As much as I can appreciate monitor lizards, I really don’t want to go swimming with one.

The kids amazed me with their swimming ability – the current is very strong where the water runs out, so it’s hard to get anywhere.  Tierney was jumping in, Anderson was swimming with just his water wings, and Ash was showing off her swimming skills by swimming across the whole thing.  They all slept the whole way home. 

IMG_0340 IMG_0350  IMG_0355 IMG_0357

IMG_0359

Yes, he’s a big boy now. IMG_0353

1 comment: