Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Produce Day


Anderson and I started the day with a nice relaxed breakfast out on the patio (thanks to Joey for taking the girls to school)

Then Anderson and I went to buy some veggies and fruit because Tuesday is one of the two days that she comes to town. It's basically just someone's patio with crates of all the different things she grown on her farm. I ran in to our friend Fini there and she was showing me some good herbs to use in soups. Of course, i didn't know what any of them where and she doesn't know US names for them, so I didn't risk it today. Maybe next time. Joey and I did discover that she sells bags of mixed greens for salads - they look just like a bag of spring salad mix. Very convenient. Anderson loves looking into the baskets and pulling stuff out...although I wasn't too happy when he just picked up a carrot and took a bite out of it.

Yesterday I got to school a little early (President was in town and it had messed up my driving already that day) and Tierney and Ashlyn were on their way back from circus practice. Ashlyn's class is all dressed as "Minibeasts" and Tierney is supposed to dress in her yellow polo (still not quite sure what they do).
With the president in town yesterday, town was a bit difficult to navigate. I tried to get to the Meat King (local butcher shop) to do my weekly meat run, but I couldn't figure out how to get there with the main road through town blocked off. I'm sure once I figure out some back routes it won't stop me like it did yesterday, but after getting turned around twice I just gave up. Then again on the way home from school, the police rerouted me. Unlike the US, there was no detour route, just a "you can't go this way". So I drove down a random road until I just turned back around and hoped his motorcade had passed through. This was all after I got pulled over on the way to ISM. Still not sure what I did/didn't do, but the policeman waved me over. He asked me "Is he yours?" (motioning to a Anderson in the back). I answered yes and said he was cranky because I had to wake him up from his nap to go get his sisters at school. He then said "He's cute. Ok, move along". ??? I figured I was going to be asked to pay my "fine" right there or something, but I don't know the appropriate amounts, etc. so I was nervous. Good thing I had Anderson with me . Phew.
Just got a note from Matt that he got to have a one-on-one conversation with Jane Goodall today while he is at a workshop in Dar Es Salaam (capital of Tanzania). How cool is that?!

2 comments:

  1. My gosh!!!! So much to take in. Every day a new adventure. Love being able to read this. When I get the blogs in email I can't see any of the pictures, so I go to this spot and there they are! Great job, Lisa! So proud of all of you. So cool that Matt got into a conversation with Jane Goodall.
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your Mom. There is so much to take in. I love that you have this blog. It is super special to read. We miss you.

    ReplyDelete